- 1 lb boned rump roast
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1½ cup strong brewed coffee
- 1 cup no-salt-added beef broth
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ⅓ cup dry red wine
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup diced peeled taro root or 1 cup diced peeled potato
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- ¼ cup whole pitted dates chopped
- 1 tbsp capers
- 2 cup hot cooked long-grain rice
- ½ cup shredded chayote or yellow squash
- Trim fat from beef, and cut into 1-inch cubes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add beef, and cook 5 minutes or until browned. Add coffee and next 4 ingredients (coffee through garlic), and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes.
- Add taro, mushrooms, dates, and capers; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Serve over rice; top with chayote.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.