Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Source: Caring & Cooking for the Hyper-Active Child by Mary Jane Finsand
- Yield: 4 qt. (4 l)
- 4 lbs chuck roast 2 kg
- 2 tbsp shortening 30 ml
- 2 onions (sliced) 2
- ½ cup celery (sliced) 125 ml
- 1 tsp thyme 5 ml
- 3 bay leaves 3
- 2 tsp salt 10 ml
- ½ tsp pepper 2 ml
- 4 qt. water 4 l
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Remove meat from bone and cut into bite-size pieces.
- Bone should be left in pot while mixture is cooking.
- Place shortening in roasting pan and melt in oven.
- Shake to coat bottom of pan.
- Add meat and roast uncovered for 20 minutes; stir frequently.
- Add onions and celery.
- Roast for 10 minutes more, stirring to keep from burning.
- Remove from oven and pour meat and vegetables into large soup pot.
- Add a little water to roasting pan and scrape up all the browned bits.
- Add to soup pot.
- Add remaining ingredients to soup; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 2 to 3 hours.
- Remove bone from pot.
- Strain and cool.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.