Classic 18th century Russian entrée. Do not overcook the meat or it will toughen.
- 1¼ pounds skirt steak or beef tenderloin, cut into 2" x 1" strips
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup finely chopped Spanish onion
- 1 cup small white mushrooms
- ¼ cup dry red wine
- 1 cup beef broth or 3 tablespoons demi-glace mixed with ¾ cup water
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Heat oven to warm setting.
- Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper.
- In a large nonstick skillet heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Brown meat in batches, about 1 minute per side.
- Transfer to a platter and place in oven.
- Melt butter in skillet; add onion and cook 3 minutes, until softened.
- Add mushrooms.
- Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mushroom liquid evaporates.
- Add wine; cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in beef broth and cook 10 minutes, until mushrooms are coated with a thick sauce.
- Stir in sour cream and mustard.
- Add meat and accumulated juices.
- Reduce heat to low and cook 2–3 minutes, until meat is heated through.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.