- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 pinch salt
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1¼ lbs lean beef or chicken or lamb or pork, sliced thinly into strips
- Soak a package of small bamboo skewers in water for 2–3 hours.
- Prepare all ingredients and have at hand.
- Combine the seasoning ingredients in a medium size bowl and mix well.
- Mix the meat with the seasoning and marinate at room temperature for one hour or refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat a grill or broiler.
- Thread the marinated meat onto the skewers.
- Cook the satays over a hot fire or broil them in the oven for 3 to 5 minutes per side, or until done.
- Do not leave them un attended!
- Serve immediately on a garnished plate.
- The best flavor is from grilling, but you can broil skewers in the oven too.
- Use a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil and cake rack to keep the skewers off the foil, otherwise they will simmer in their own juices, becoming tough and dry.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.