Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Makes 8 servings of beef and onion stew
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 3 pounds boneless beef chuck, cut into pieces
- ½ cup flour
- 1 cup dry red wine
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup beef broth
- chopped parsley
- In Dutch oven, melt 1 tbsp butter with 1 tbsp oil.
- Add onions, cook until golden and tender. Transfer to a bowl.
- In same pan, melt 1 tbsp butter with 1 tbsp oil.
- Coat beef cubes in flour. Add half of beef cubes to pan, cook until browned on all sides. Transfer to bowl with onions. Brown remaining beef in remaining butter and oil. Transfer to bowl.
- Add wine to pan, cook 1 min.
- Return meat and onions to pan. Add salt, pepper, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, broth.
- Bring to a simmer, cover pan.
- Cook 2½ hours or until meat is tender.
- Sprinkle stew with parsley. Serve hot with polenta or mashed potatoes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.