- 4 servings
- 1 kg (2 lb] beef
- 20 g (¾ oz) butter
- 10 g (½ oz) lardo (cured back fat of pork)
- 0.4 l (14 fl oz) Barolo (dry full-bodied red wine with lush bouquet made from Nebbiolo grapes)
- 0.2 l (7 fl oz) rum
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 carrot
- 1 stick celery
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small piece cinnamon
- freshly ground pepper
- Heat the butter and lard in a copper pan.
- Add the meat and brown all over for 5 minutes together with the onion, garlic, carrot and celery (all chopped), rosemary, bay leaf and cinnamon.
- Season with salt and pepper and add the Barolo.
- Allow the wine to evaporate slowly then dilute with a little warm water and continue to cook over a low heat for about 3 hours.
- Remove the meat and cut into slices, strain its sauce through a sieve then return both to the pan.
- Pour over the rum and cook for 15 minutes.
- Take to the table and serve piping hot.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.