Makes 6 servings.
- 1½ pounds lean boneless beef round steak, ⅓-inch thick
- ⅓ cup flour
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 4-ounce cans sliced mushrooms and liquid
- 1 cup beef broth
- ¼ teaspoon tarragon
- ¼ teaspoon chervil
- ½ cup madeira wine
- ¾ cup half and half
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Have butcher tenderize steak.
- Cut into 1-inch squares.
- Dust with flour, salt and pepper.
- Reserve leftover flour mixture.
- Brown steak in oil about 5 minutes.
- Add onion, mushrooms and liquid, broth, tarragon and chervil.
- Cover and simmer 30 to 45 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Remove lid.
- Add wine and cook until liquid is reduced to half.
- Blend remaining flour with cream.
- Add to meat mixture and cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Serve over beds of fluffy rice and garnish with parsley.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.