This dish can be served as an entrée or as a burrito filling. When you buy flour tortillas for burritos, choose those that are thinner or smaller, because they have fewer calories and carbohydrate.
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Original recipe
- Total time: 45 minutes | Preparation time: 10 min
- Yields 6 servings
- 1½ pounds lean beef (such as sirloin)
- 2 cups diced green chile (roasted and peeled, fresh or frozen)
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Cut beef into chunks or strips.
- Add all ingredients except cornstarch.
- Simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes.
- You may need to add a little water so mixture simmers well (don't add too much water or mixture will get soupy).
- Add cornstarch to small amount of water to make a smooth paste.
- Add to meat mixture and stir.
- Cook until cornstarch thickens (about 5 more minutes).
Nutritional information Edit
Per ⅔ cup serving:
- Calories 210 | Calories from Fat 60 | Total Fat 7 g | Cholesterol 65 mg | Sodium 290 mg | Carbohydrate 7 g | Dietary Fiber 0 g | Protein 27 g
- Exchange 4 lean meat
- Carbohydrate Units 0.5
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.