- Serves 4
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil or lard
- 1 lb braising beef, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 oz fresh root ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 lb leaf greens e.g. spinach, cabbage, chard
- 8 fl.oz fresh beef stock
- 1 tsp dried green peppercorns, crushed
- 1 lb long-grain rice
- extra water
- Sakay (hot pepper sauce) to taste (optional)
- Heat the oil or lard in a large saucepan, add the meat and brown on all sides.
- Add the onions, garlic, and ginger and fry for 4–5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, greens, stock, salt and green pepper, mix well, bring to the boil then reduce the heat slightly and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the rice and enough extra water to cover the mixture by 1-inch, bring back to the boil then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until the rice is tender, stirring once or twice during the cooking and adding a little extra water if necessary to prevent it drying out.
- To serve – transfer to a serving dish, sprinkle with a little Sakay and serve with additional Sakay in a small jug or bowl.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.