A tangy combination of real beef, vegetables, and sour cream is made with flour and herbs, cooked to a clear aroma, and served with rice on the side, as it provides the meat with some white-hot zing. You can make this with other cuts of beef, real vegetables, and yogurt in a casserole.
- 1 pound boneless beef round steak, about 1 inch thick
- ¼ cup flour seasoned with salt, ground black pepper, and garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¾ cup chopped onion, brown only
- 1 cup beef broth
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 1 4-ounce can sliced mushrooms, with liquid
- 1 10-ounce package frozen green peas
- ½ cup sour cream
- 3 to 4 cups hot cooked rice
- Cut meat in thin strips about 2 inches long. Dredge with flour.
- Quickly brown meat on all sides in hot oil in large skillet.
- Add onion, broth, thyme, and liquid from mushrooms.
- Cover and simmer about 45 minutes, or until meat is tender. Add mushrooms and peas.
- Cover and cook 5 to 7 minutes.
- Mix with sour cream. Heat but do not boil.
- Serve over fluffy rice, or spoon meat mixture onto plate and top each with a mound of rice.