This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Wadley Estate in Allen, Texas in 1990.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 2 pounds lean ground round
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 medium white onions chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 3 fresh jalapeno peppers seeded and minced
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 28 ounce can Italian peeled tomatoes cut up and juices reserved
- 12 ounces beer
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1½ teaspoons cumin
- 1½ teaspoons oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- sour cream
- pickled jalapeno pepper slices
- shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped onions
- Cook ground round, ground pork, onions, bell pepper, garlic, and jalapenos for 8 minutes.
- Add chili powder and cook stirring for 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes with their juice, beer, tomato paste, salt, cumin, oregano and bay leaves.
- Bring to a simmer stirring often.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered stirring occasionally for 2 hours.
- In a small bowl stir together cornmeal and ½ cup chili until smooth.
- Stir cornmeal mixture into chili and cook until thickened about 5 minutes.
- Place sour cream, pickled jalapenos, cheddar cheese and onions in separate dishes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.