- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced mushrooms
- ¾ cup butter
- ½ cup flour
- 1 tbsp dry mustard
- 5 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 bunch broccoli
- 11 fl oz beer (use a can or bottle and save a swallow for the cook!)
- 6 oz cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Sauté the diced vegetables in butter.
- Mix flour and mustard into sautéed vegetables.
- Add the chicken or vegetable stock to mixture and cook for five minutes.
- Break broccoli into small flowerets; cut stems into bite-sizes pieces.
- Steam until tender-crisp.
- Add beer and cheeses to the soup.
- Simmer 10 – 15 minutes.
- Check seasonings.
- To serve, place some broccoli into a soup bowl and ladle the soup over it.
- Notes: because of the cheese, this soup doesn't survive a night in the refrigerator very well.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.