This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Roark Estate in Grand Prairie, Texas in 1984.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 2 small bunches of beets with greens
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1½ cups skim milk
- 3 large cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- butter flavored cooking spray
- ½ cup flavored bread crumbs
- Separate greens from beets leaving about 1 inch of stems on the top of the beets then steam for 45 minutes.
- Save the cooking pot with the water.
- Cool and peel off skins.
- Meanwhile trim stalks from greens unless they are very tender.
- Stack greens and roll like a fat cigar.
- Cut crosswise into ½ inch wide ribbons.
- Wash thoroughly and drain.
- Add to the same pot that steamed the beets with more water if needed and steam over moderate heat just until wilted about 7 minutes.
- While greens steam heat butter in a medium size saucepan until it foams then add flour and stir over moderate heat until well blended.
- Add milk stirring constantly until the sauce comes to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer then add garlic, salt and pepper and stir as it thickens to the consistency of a light cream sauce.
- Turn off heat.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut beets into ½ inch cubes and add to saucepan with cream sauce.
- Squeeze out any moisture from beet greens and add to the cream sauce combining well.
- Season with more salt and pepper if desired and pour into a 2 quart gratin dish that has been sprayed with butter flavored spray.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs and bake 25 minutes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.