- 50 g (2 oz) butter
- 250 g (8 oz) fennel, thinly sliced
- 425 g (15 oz) can chicken consommé
- 350 g (12 oz) cooked beetroot, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
- 4 tablespoons thick sour cream
- Melt the butter in a pan.
- Add the fennel and cook gently until softened.
- Add the chicken consommé and red wine.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the beetroot and cook for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
- Season and stir in the dill.
- If serving chilled, allow the soup to cool, then chill for several hours.
- If serving hot, reheat gently.
- Add a spoonful of sour cream to each serving and garnish with dill and beetroot.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.