Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
- 4 to 4½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 (¼ oz) pkg. active dry yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- 1 egg
- vegetable oil
- powdered sugar
- Insert dough hook attachment to mixer.
- Mix 1½ cups of the flour, sugar, yeast and salt on low speed.
- Heat milk and butter in small saucepan until warm, 85 degrees.
- Add to flour mixture, mixing at medium speed.
- Add egg; mix at medium speed 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of the flour, beating at medium speed until smooth.
- Add remaining flour as necessary to make a soft elastic dough; mix at medium speed until dough climbs hook.
- Place dough in a greased bowl; cover and rise in warm place free from draft until doubled in bulk, about 1 to 1½ hours.
- Punch dough down; roll on floured surface to ¼ inch thickness.
- Cut dough into 2½ inch squares; cover and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Heat 2 inch oil in large saucepan to 350°F.
- Fry doughnuts until golden, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.