Very nice potato croquettes as they are eaten in Belgium. Requires basic cooking skills and easy to prepare !
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- approx ½ cup water
- 2 oz butter
- a pinch of nutmeg
- 2 oz plain flour
- 2 eggs
- vegetable oil for frying
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with salted water, bring to the boil then cook for 15-20 minutes until soft.
- Drain the potatoes well, return to the pan and mash with a fork or potato masher.
- Set aside.
- In another saucepan, mix together the water, butter, salt and nutmeg.
- Bring to the boil then stir in the flour and reduce the heat a little.
- Beat with a wooden spoon until the mixture pulls away from the sides of the pan and forms a ball, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the eggs, one at the time, beating well after each addition.
- Continue to beat the mixture until smooth and shiny then add the mashed potatoes and mix well.
- Preheat the deep fat fryer to 180°C, 350°F and preheat the oven to 170°C, 325°F, gas mark 3.
- Drop tablespoons of the potato mixture into the oil, flattening each croquette with the back of the spoon and cook for a few minutes until crisp and golden, turning once or twice.
- You will need to do this in batches.
- Drain well on kitchen paper and keep warm in the oven whilst you cook the remaining croquettes.
- Serve hot.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.