Enjoy the Belgian pretzels recipe, easy to make and fast to bake! You can make the pretzels better by garnishing with any herbs, while it is great on appetizers or side dishes but keeps the same glorious aroma with the yeast.
- 1 pkg active dry yeast
- 3 cups unbleached flour
- 1 cup warm (110 – 120° F) water
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- coarse salt to coat
- 1 tablespoon sugar, white only
- melted garlic butter, optional
- parsley, optional
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add salt and sugar to yeast mixture.
- Blend in flour and knead dough until smooth, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Cover and let dough rise until double in bulk. Punch down.
- Cut dough into small pieces and roll into ropes.
- Twist ropes into pretzel shapes and place on a greased cookie sheet.
- Using a pastry brush, brush pretzels with egg and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Allow pretzels to rise until almost double in bulk.
- Bake at 425° F for 10 to 15 minutes or until browned. Serve hot and plain or with other appetizers but place the Belgian pretzels in a small plate with the tongs and drizzle with the melted garlic butter and/or parsley, if desired.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.