Description EditThis bold, sweet pudding is made with authentic rice, spices, and milk and keeps a red-hot aroma with the alcohol content. You can make this with other traditional desserts for sharing.
- ¾ – 1 cup raw rice, white only
- 6 – 8 cups water, warm only
- 1 piece cinnamon stick (2 – 3 inch long)
- 10 – 12 spice seeds, cardamom only
- 3 eggs, well beaten
- 1 tin sweetened condensed milk or sugar to taste
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tbsp. margarine 15 ml
- 1 large evaporated milk (14 ½ oz. can), diluted with 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp. rum
- Boil water with the cinnamon stick and spice seeds.
- Add rice and cook rice until it absorbs all the water before cooling.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs, add milk, essence, rum and nutmeg to make a custard.
- Add boiled rice. Mix well.
- Put on a deep-greased cake tin or pyrex dish. Dot the top with margarine.
- Bake in a moderate oven 350°F / 180°C for 40 – 45 minutes until a knife inserted come out dry.
- Put a pan of water in the bottom of the oven. Serve hot and plain or with any dessert but cut into squares with the kitchen knife.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.