This bold, sweet pudding is made with authentic rice, spices, and milk. You can make this with other traditional desserts for sharing.
- ¾ – 1 cup raw rice
- 6 – 8 cups warm water
- 1 cinnamon stick (2 – 3 inch long)
- 10 – 12 cardamom seeds
- 3 eggs, well beaten
- 1 tin sweetened condensed milk or sugar to taste
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tbsp. margarine 15 ml
- 1 large can evaporated milk (14 ½ oz.), diluted with 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp. rum
- Boil water with the cinnamon stick and spice seeds.
- Add rice and cook rice until it absorbs all the water before cooling.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs
- Add milk, essence, rum and nutmeg to make a custard.
- Add boiled rice and mix well.
- Put on a deep-greased cake tin or pyrex dish. Dot the top with margarine.
- Bake in a moderate oven 350°F / 180°C for 40 – 45 minutes until a knife inserted come out dry.
- Put a pan of water in the bottom of the oven.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.