- 1 lb flour
- ½ lb sugar
- 5 g yeast
- ¼ cup water
- 5 g granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 g mixed spice
- 10 g baking powder
- 57 g butter
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup caramel colouring
- Mix sugar into water and add the yeast.
- Leave to stand for 10 minutes until yeast rises in foam on top of the water.
- Cream butter, add sugar gradually, and keep creaming.
- Whip eggs, then fold into creamed butter and sugar.
- Mix caramel colouring into yeast with vanilla extract and add to the creamed butter mixture.
- Add sifted dry ingredients. Blend in well.
- Spoon into well buttered, shallow baking tin, about 2" deep.
- Put into preheated oven 350 °F for about 50–60 minutes or until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean (do not open oven before 30 minutes).
- Set on cake cooler and cut into squares for serving.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.