Benne seeds (sesame seeds) cannot be procured in many places, but the candy made with it is delicious and very characteristic of Charleston.
- Add the extracts to the sugar.
- Melt the sugar in a saucepan, stirring constantly, as for Peanut brittle.
- When the sugar is melted, add the benne seed, stirring it in quickly.
- Pour at once onto a marble slab to cool or pour into lightly buttered pans.
- Mark in one-inch squares while still warm and break along the lines when cold.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.