- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 cups hulled and sliced strawberries
- 2 cups blackberries
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 cups frozen sweetened raspberries
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease 8 to 10 muffin cups, or line with paper liners.
- Whisk together flour, 3/4 cup Sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- In separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, oil, melted butter, egg and vanilla.
- Make well in center of dry ingredients, add buttermilk mixture and stir just to combine. Overmixing makes cake tough.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each about two-thirds full.
- Sprinkle tops with 1/4 cup Sugar.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, and cool.
- Leave cakes in muffin tin, and, when cool, wrap in plastic bag for transporting to picnic.
- Mix cleaned Berries gently.
- Put thawed raspberries in blender or food processor, and process until smooth.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup Sugar, and process until dissolved.
- Strain to remove seeds, if desired.
- Pour over Berries. Mix and chill.
- To serve, break each cake in half horizontally, and place bottom in bowl.
- Spoon about 1 cup of Berries over bottom of cake, and cover with cake top.
See also Edit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.