Canned Cherries by the US Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Serves: 8
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅓ cup flour
- 2 cans red tart cherries, drained, reserving juice
- ¼ teaspoon red food coloring (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter
- Pastry for double-crust 9-inch pie
- Preheat oven to 425 °F.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar and flour.
- Blend in 1 cup reserved cherry juice. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, until thickened.
- Remove from heat and add food coloring (optional), almond extract (optional), and margarine. Cover and refrigerate.
- Roll out half of pastry and line a 9” pie pan.
- Roll out other half of pastry into an 11” circle – cut into eight ½” strips.
- Pour cooled cherry filling into pastry-lined pie pan – lay pastry strips horizontally and then vertically across the top of the pie. Crimp edges with forefinger of one hand pressed into thumb of the other hand, to seal edges.
- Bake 30–35 minutes until crust is brown and filling is bubbling.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.