- 4 x fresh shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tbsp bottled bulgogi marinade
- 2 x carrots
- 4 cup spinach
- 1½ cup soybean sprouts
- 1 large zucchini
- 2 cups short-grain rice
- ¼ cup red pepper paste (kochujang)
- ½ tsp sesame seeds
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ½ cup bottled kimchi cut thin strips
- 1½ tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- ½ sht nori seaweed - (8" square) sliced into fine, thin strips
- 1 fried egg
- Place the beef in a bowl, add the bulgogi marinade, cover and refrigerate, 1 hour.
- Remove the beef from the marinade and cut into ½-inch slices.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the beef and stir-fry until cooked through, 1 minute.
- Note: cook the beef just before assembling the dish.
- Cook the mushrooms in the oil and the marinade in a skillet over high heat until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Set aside.
- Cut the carrots into very thin, long strips.
- The spinach, carrots and soy bean sprouts need to be blanched in separate pots of boiling water.
- Blanch the spinach 30 seconds.
- Drain and squeeze dry.
- Blanch the carrots, 1 minute; the soybean sprouts, 30 seconds.
- Cut the zucchini into very thin slices.
- Cook the zucchini in boiling water until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Wash the rice several times in cold water until the water is clear, rubbing the rice well.
- Place the rice in a heavy pot; add 3 cups of cold water.
- Cover and bring to a boil, reduce the heat and steam, covered, until the rice is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Place the hot cooked rice in a large serving bowl.
- The vegetables can be at room temperature.
- Arrange them on top of the rice in separate groups, along with the kimchi.
- Sprinkle with the sesame oil and sesame seeds.
- Arrange the beef on top and a small pile of nori strips at one side.
- Place the egg in the center.
- Pass the sauce in a separate bowl.
- Add this to taste and stir it into the mixture, preferably with a long-handled Korean spoon.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.