Latvian-style cheese danishes
- 1 cup milk
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 package (1 tbsp) yeast
- 5 tbsp butter
- 5 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 lbs (dry) cottage cheese
- raisins (to taste)
- 10 tbsp sugar
- 1 package Oetker's vanilla sugar
- 1 package Oetker's vanilla pudding powder
- juice of half a lemon
- 2 eggs, separated
- Put milk in saucepan and heat until bubbles start to form.
- Let it cool until lukewarm.
- Then add one tbsp.
- sugar, yeast, and let stand about 10 minutes.
- Add enough flour to make a soft dough.
- Let this rise for 20 minutes.
- cream butter, add sugar and salt.
- When dough has risen (for the 20 minutes) add the butter mixture, and remaining flour.
- Let rise for about one hour.
- Beat cottage cheese with a fork (or run through a Cuisinart-type food processor) to break up the lumps.
- Add sugar, vanilla sugar, pudding powder, lemon juice, egg yolks, and raisins.
- Beat well.
- Whip egg whites and fold into cottage cheese mixture.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Roll out batter onto a cookie sheet, and spread with filling.
- Alternately: make a number of small, Danish-style pastries and spoon filling into centre of each one.
- Bake for 30 – 50 minutes. Put on a rack to cool.
- If made in a sheet, cut only when cooled.
- This has fewer calories than a traditional cheese Danish, but tastes just as good, if not better!
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.