Makes 6 (1⅓ cup) servings
- 2 x 16-ounce cans black beans, drained
- 1½ cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 x 4-ounce can diced green chiles, drained
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 3 cups hot cooked brown rice
- ½ cup sliced green onions for garnish
- ½ cup finely chopped tomato for garnish
- Reserve 1 cup black beans.
- Puree remaining beans with water in electric blender or food processor; set aside.
- Cook onion, celery, and carrots in oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until tender crisp.
- Add broth, chiles, pepper and whole and puréed beans.
- Simmer uncovered 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in sherry.
- Top each serving with ½ cup rice.
- Garnish with green onions and tomato.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.