A River of Recipes: Native American Recipes Using Commodity Foods by the USDA Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- 2 pounds cubed bison meat
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 6 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled
- ½ cup water
- Brown meat in oil in large kettle or pot; add onions and cook until golden.
- Add tomato sauce, carrots, tomatoes, and seasonings and cover. Cook 1 hour over very low heat.
- Add potatoes and ½ cup water if needed.
- Cover and cook 30 minutes over very low heat.
- Transfer mixture to a baking a dish and top with biscuit dough (see page 23). Bake at 425 °F until biscuits are brown.
- To lower the sodium content: Use salt substitute instead of salt and use low-sodium canned tomatoes and low-sodium canned tomato sauce.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.