This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Morgan Estate in Austin, Texas in 1982.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 1 pound smoked sausage
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 4 cloves garlic
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 bay leaves
- 3 teaspoons finely chopped parsley
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound black eyed peas
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 6 cornbread muffins
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onions
- In a large pot over medium heat render sausage for 5 minutes.
- Stir in onions, salt, cayenne, garlic, bay leaves, thyme and parsley then sauté 5 minutes.
- Stir in chicken stock, peas and garlic.
- Simmer for 1½ hours then spoon peas and sausage in center of a shallow serving bowl and garnish with green onions.
- Serve with cornbread muffins.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.