A savory, new combination of real chicken and black beans is a wanted poultry dish that the whole family will relish and is packed with vegetables, herbs, and spices.
- 4 chicken breasts, legs, or thighs
- 4 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 ¾ tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cup onion, chopped, red, white, or yellow only
- ½ cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, with seeds removed and chopped if desired
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 medium tomato, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 can black beans (15 oz)
- Sprinkle each chicken with freshly ground pepper to taste.
- In a 12-inch skillet, sauté chicken in olive oil about three minutes on each side; remove from the pan.
- To pan drippings, add onion, green pepper, jalapeño pepper, and garlic.
- Cook two minutes, or until onions are softened.
- Stir in cumin, tomatoes, lemon juice and black beans.
- Return chicken to the pan; cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid and continue to cook until chicken is done and juices run clear, about 10 minutes. Serve warm and plain, over rice, or with other main dishes but take the cooked chicken out of the frying pan with tongs.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.