- 1 medium or 2 small winter squashes (acorn or butternut)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 2 x (16-oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 x (28-oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 x (4-oz) can chopped mild green chilis
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- salt to taste
- Cut each squash in half, scoop out seeds, and place in a microwave-safe container with ¼ inch of water.
- Cover and microwave until tender, allowing 2 to 3 minutes per squash half.
- Remove squash and let cool, then peel and cut into chunks.
- In large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring often, until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except squash and salt and mix well. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer gently 15 minutes.
- Stir in squash and season to taste with salt. Serve warm.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.