Makes 6 servings
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 4 sprigs parsley
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 3 cups cooked rice
- ½ cup dry sherry
- Cover beans with water.
- Soak overnight.
- Drain beans and place in large stockpot with bay leaf.
- Add onion, carrot, parsley, garlic, thyme, vegetable broth; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 6 to 8 hours.
- Puree remaining bean mixture in food processor or blender.
- Add to liquid and continue cooking, uncovered, for 2 hours.
- Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Pour soup into bowls.
- Garnish with rice, sherry.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.