- 3 cups cooked rice
- 32 oz canned black beans with their liquid (2 x 16 oz cans)
- 1 envelope ortega hot and spicy taco seasoning mix
- 4 green onions and tops, chopped
- 46 oz canned chicken broth, de-fatted
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Place the cooked rice, black beans with their liquid, the taco seasoning mix and the chopped green onions in a 6-quart Dutch oven over low heat.
- Start to add chicken broth, about a cup at a time, mixing well after each addition. Continue in a like manner until the soup is of the desired consistency.
- Season with salt, pepper and cumin to taste.
- Continue to cook over low heat, stirring frequently, for about 15 minutes.
- Add more chicken broth as the rice tends to absorb the broth and it may become thicker than you like. You may add as much chicken broth as you desire, to obtain a soup-like consistency.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.