- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 1-2 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or 1/2 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1 (19 ounces) can black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a large, nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Add Onion.
- Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and jalapeño.
- Cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add cumin.
- Remove from heat, and set aside mixture in a bowl.
- In the same pan, add broth, water, Barley oregano and hot sauce.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until Barley is tender, adding extra water as necessary, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in beans and Onion mixture, and heat through.
- Sprinkle with cilantro just before serving.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.