- cooking spray
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 2 sweet green peppers or sweet red peppers, seeded & diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups cooked black beans, drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon frozen orange juice concentrate
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dark rum or dry sherry
- 3 cups cooked rice
- chopped onions (optional)
- chopped celery (optional)
- chopped tomatoes (optional)
- chopped hot green chile peppers or jalapeño peppers (optional)
- lemon wedges (optional)
- orange wedges (optional)
- bananas, sliced (optional)
- chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- sour cream or yogurt (optional)
- Spray and heat large heavy saucepan over medium low heat.
- Add Onion and sauté, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.
- Add pepper and garlic and sauté 3 more minutes.
- Add cumin and oregano and cook briefly, stirring.
- Add beans through oregano and simmer 8 minutes, adding water if it gets too dry and starts to stick.
- Mix 1 cup of bean mixture with rum and mash to a paste with a fork or in the blender or food processor.
- Add paste back into the pot, cover and simmer over low heat 20 minutes.
- Serve over rice. Offer Onion through sour cream, each served in its own small dish, as condiments.
Other Links Edit
See also Edit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.