Makes 6 servings.
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ⅛ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium fresh tomato, chopped
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup diced fully-cooked ham (optional)
- 1 cup dried black beans, cooked and well-seasoned
- Cook bacon in large skillet over low heat. Pour off fat. Return 1 tablespoon to skillet.
- Add onion and garlic; cook over medium heat 2 minutes.
- Stir in rice, salt, turmeric, red pepper and water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add tomato, green pepper and ham; simmer 5 minutes longer, or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Serve yellow rice in deep bowls and spoon beans in center.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.