"vegetarian times" December, 199?
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup honey
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 2 cup wholewheat pastry flour or unbleached white flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup honey
- 10 oz firm tofu
- 3 oz semi-sweet chocolate, melted
- 16 oz jar pitted cherries, drained
- Cake: preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Combine liquid ingredients in a large bowl & whisk well.
- Sift dry ingredients together & whisk into liquid mixture.
- Pour into greased & floured 9" cake tin & bake for 35 minutes or until springy.
- Cool cake completely & remove from pan. With a serrated knife, cut cake horizontally to make 3 thin layers.
- Syrup: combine first 3 ingredients in a small pot & boil for 3 minutes.
- Let cool & then add kirsch.
- Icing: in a blender, combine cashews, water & vanilla.
- Blend till smooth & creamy. Add honey & tofu & blend again.
- Set aside 2 c for the vanilla icing to go on top & sides of cake.
- To the rest of the mixture, add melted chocolate & 3 tb of syrup.
- Blend till smooth. Chill both icings before using.
- To assemble: carefully remove the top two layers of cake.
- Brush some syrup onto bottom layer & spread half of chocolate icing over it.
- Place the middle cake layer on top & brush with syrup & icing.
- Put down a layer of cherries & dot with a little vanilla icing to help the top layer stick.
- Place the top layer on the cherries & brush again with syrup.
- Frost top & sides with vanilla icing.
- Decorate with cherries & pipe rosettes if desired.
- Chill several hours before serving.
- The cake can be kept covered if not being served till the following day.
- However, the frosting may discolour after about 3 days.
See also Edit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.