- 2 cups Sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S cocoa
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk (*)
- 1 cup Strong black coffee or2 teaspoons powdered instant coffee plus 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350 °F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans or one 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Stir together Sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in large bowl.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes (batter will be thin).
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes for round pans, 35 to 40 minutes for rectangular pan or until wooden pick inserted in
- center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks.
- Cool completely.
- Frost as desired.
- To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.