Beef Recipes by the South Carolina Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- 1 pound beef top round
- 1½ tablespoons hot n’ spicy seasoning (recipe to follow)
- 8 red-skinned potatoes, halved
- 3 cups finely chopped onion
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large carrots, peeled, cut into very thin 2½ inch strips
- 2 bunches (½ pound each) mustard greens, kale or turnip greens, stems removed, coarsely torn
- nonstick spray coating
Hot n’ spicy seasoning
- ¼ cup paprika
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red (cayenne) pepper
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- Partially freeze beef.
- Thinly slice across the grain into long strips ⅛ inch thick.
- Thoroughly coat strips with Hot n’ Spicy seasoning.
- Spray a large heavy skillet (cast iron is good) with nonstick spray coating.
- Preheat pan over high heat.
- Add meat; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes, onion, broth and garlic.
- Cook, covered, over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Stir in carrots, lay mustard greens over top, and cook, covered, until carrots are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Serve in large serving bowl, with crusty bread for dunking.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.