Lamb loaves with apricots and egg
- Serves 6 to 8
- 2 lbs ground lamb shoulder
- 12 dried apricots, coarsely chopped, soaked in hot water for 5 minutes, drained
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 1 tsp each ground cinnamon and ground allspice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, with shells removed
- 1 cup tomato paste, canned
- 1 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Put lamb, apricots, onion, pine nuts, cinnamon, allspice, and salt and pepper to taste in mixing bowl.
- Mix well, using clean hand or wooden spoon.
- Divide the mixture in half and shape each half into a loaf around an egg.
- Put the loaves side-by-side in the baking pan.
- Mix tomato paste with water and pour over the loaves.
- Put loaves in oven and bake for about 45 minutes or until meat is cooked.
- Baste frequently with the tomato sauce to keep loaves moist.
- To serve the loaves, cool to room temperature and cut into thick slices.
- Blehat lahma makes an excellent filling for sandwiches.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.