Cook Time: 25 – 35 minutes approx
Serves: Any number depending on portion size
- 1 pound white onions
- 2 ounces soya flour
- 2 ounces vegetarian cheese. I used Shropshire Blue but other cheeses work
- 1 dessert spoon flour
- 1 soup cube (Salt can be substituted)
- About 2 pints water
- Pepper, cumin powder, and green cardamom to taste
- Boil water. Add flour well before the water boils.
- Add soya flour
- Cut up onions add them when the liquid is boiling bring back to the boil
- Add cheese broken up
- Blend everything
- Bring back to the boil and continue cooking if necessary
A wide range of nourishing vegetarian soups can be made this way. Less soya flour and less cheese can be used. This is more a stew than a soup. A potato can be used instead of one of the onions. I use what I have to hand to make a wide range of easy blended vegetarian soups. People with gluten allergy can leave out the flour but then it is less nice, has to be stirred and is much more likely to curdle. A wide range of spices can substitute for what I used. Oil can be added before blending. Olive oil, linseed oil and repe seed oil are healthy.