- Select a well-rounded onion.
- Peel outer skin off.
- Leave root intact and cut off any hanging roots.
- Using a small, sharp knife, divide onion into four sections by making 2 cuts crosswise, beginning at the top and cutting toward root, stopping about ½" away.
- Cut each section twice.
- Place onion in bowl of enough boiling water to cover it and leave for 5 minutes.
- The sections, or petals, will begin to open.
- Remove onion from water and immerse into ice water, which will further the opening.
- Drain well by turning upside down on paper towel.
- Put flour into paper bag, add onion and shake gently to coat with flour.
- Roll floured onion in beaten egg to cover.
- Put cracker crumbs or coating in bag, add onion, and shake gently to coat.
- Refrigerate 1 hour before deep frying in oil to golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.