- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 4 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon tomato purée
- 1¼ cup coconut milk
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 small slice ginger, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1¼ cups long-grain rice, washed
- ¼ pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small green pepper, seeded and chopped
- hot pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- Fry the onion in hot oil, in a large saucepan, for a few minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and tomato puree.
- While stirring, fry over a moderate heat for 5 – 6 minutes.
- Stir in ¼ cup of the coconut milk and continue to cook until the mixture is reduced and thick.
- Add the rest of the coconut milk, carrots, hot pepper, ginger, bay leaf and salt.
- Bring to the boil, and add the rice and the remaining vegetables, stirring with a fork.
- Reduce to a low heat, cover and cook until the rice has absorbed most of the liquid.
- Remove the lid, cover with foil and replace the lid until the rice is done.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.