A River of Recipes: Native American Recipes Using Commodity Foods by the USDA Food Distribution Program on Native American Reservations
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups blue cornmeal (yellow may be used)
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- ¾ cup raisins
- ½ cup sprouted wheat
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 300 °F.
- Line 8x8-inch cake pan with foil.
- Bring water to boil in a large pot.
- Add each ingredient, one at a time.
- Stir well until mixture is smooth and pour into foil-lined cake pan.
- Cover with a piece of foil.
- Bake for 2 hours.
- Bread is done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
To sprout wheat
Wash untreated wheat grains; drain but do not dry. Spread in a single layer in shallow pans and cover with damp cloths. Keep damp in a warm, dark place.