Sit down to a hearty bowl of low fat, cholesterol free bean soup. It's made with Great Northern beans, a good source of dietary fiber, and tomatoes that add a rich source of vitamin C. This recipe is from Kraft
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes For Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: Brand-Name Diabetic Meals in Minutes, a cookbook published by the American Diabetes Association
- Preparation time: 10 minutes | Total time: 30 min
- Number of Servings: 6
- 1 x 10 oz pkg frozen Boca meatless smoked sausage
- 4 cups or 1 qt water
- 1 x 15½ oz can Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained 
- 1 x 14½ oz can stewed tomatoes, with juice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- ½ cup or 2 medium sliced carrots
- ½ cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp dried basil leaves
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce (optional)
- Cut sausage into ¼-inch-thick slices (tip: slice sausage while still partially frozen. Remove sausage from freezer about 10 minutes before slicing or thaw slightly in microwave before slicing).
- Place sausage and all remaining ingredients except hot pepper sauce in Dutch oven or large saucepan.
- Bring to boil; cover.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Season to taste with hot pepper sauce.
- Substitute cannellini beans for Great Northern beans.
Per 1 cup serving:
- 230 Calories | 4g Total Fat | 0g Saturated Fat | 0 mg Cholesterol | 650 mg Sodium | 32g Total Carbs | 7g Dietary Fiber | 7g Sugars | 16g Protein
- Exchanges: 1½ starch | 1 vegetable | 1 meat