Prep Time: 5 minutes active, 1 hour inactive
Cook time: --
Bocconcini are tiny balls of milky soft Mozzarella cheese, usually found in containers with brine. Each are hand-stretched and rolled. If you can't find bocconcini, use ordinary Mozzarella cheese cut into bite-sized pieces. Bocconcini can usually be purchased in finer Italian delicatessens, good cheese shops and in gourmet grocery stores.
- 1 lb bocconcini
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, lightly crushed
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- small bunch of fresh basil leaves, roughly torn
- salt and ground black pepper
- Drain the bocconcini well and place in a bowl. Stir in the olive oil, fennel seeds and basil, then season with salt and pepper. Cover and chill for one hour.
- Remove the bowl from the refrigerator and leave to stand for about 30 minutes for the cheese to return to room temperature before serving.
- Serve as antipasti if using this dish for a full, traditional Italian meal; make sure to serve an appropriate wine along with this.