- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 30–40 minutes
- Brown beef in pork fat or bacon drippings.
- Drain fat but save the browned bacon or lardons.
- Add enough olive oil to sauté carrot, onions, mushrooms and garlic for 4 minutes and add tomato (chopped) and paste.
- Cook for two minutes and add liquids, bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to boil and add crisp bacon.
- Cover and simmer on top of stove or in 325°F oven for 30 – 40 minutes.
- Add beurre manié to thicken sauce (optional) and serve over noodles or steamed new potatoes.