Spawn (fish roe) soup for Lent
- 2 carrots
- 2 parsnips
- 2 medium onions
- 1 small celery knob
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch paprika
- ½ lb fish fillet; small pieces
- 1 fish head
- 1 lb spawn (fish roe)
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup sour cream
- Peel vegetables and cut into small pieces and together with salt, bay leaves and peppercorns cook them in 2 qts water till they are almost soft.
- Make a roux with butter and flour cook for only a few minutes leaving it very light.
- Add paprika and whip ½ cup cold water into the roux.
- Pour roux into the vegetable mixture and bring again to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add fish pieces and fish head and simmer soup for 10 minutes.
- Add spawn and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Pour in the vinegar; just before serving stir in the sour cream.
- Adjust salt and vinegar to your taste.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.