Contributed by Healthy Recipes For Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: www.foodfit.com
- This Recipe Serves: 4
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 4 small potatoes or turnips, cut into wedges
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 3 cups crushed canned tomatoes
- 1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- juice of 1 lemon
- parsley or cilantro sprigs for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion begins to wilt, about 3 minutes.
- Turn the heat to high, add the garlic, carrots and potatoes or turnips.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the ginger and curry powder.
- Add the butternut squash, canned tomatoes and chicken pieces and stir to combine.
- Adjust the heat so that the mixture simmers slowly and place a lid, slightly ajar, over the skillet.
- Simmer for 15 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked.
- Add the lemon juice and adjust the salt and pepper to taste (this can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days).
- Serve in warm bowls garnished with parsley or cilantro sprigs.
Nutritional information Edit
Per serving (1 bowl with chicken and vegetables):
- 330 Calories | 35g Carbs | 8g Fiber | 9g Fat | 31g Protein | 1g Saturated Fat | 281 mg Sodium
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.