Sweet potato paste. Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 1½ lb Cuban white sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into lg Chunks
- 2 cup water
- 2 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- peel of 1 lime, white pith removed
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup dry sherry
- ground cinnamon for garnish
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, boil the potatoes in lightly salted water to cover until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and puree them in a blender or food processor fitted with a steel blade.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat the water, sugar, cinnamon, and lime peel, stirring constantly, until the syrup reaches the soft-ball stage (250 °F degrees), on a candy thermometer, about 15 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low, carefully remove the cinnamon and lime peel, add the pureed potatoes, and cook 6 to 8 minutes, stirring constantly, until the paste is thoroughly blended.
- Remove from the heat, add the egg yolks, and mix well. Return to low heat for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat, mix in the sherry, and allow the paste to cool at room temperature 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a serving bowl or individual dessert dishes, cover, and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve cold.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.