Persian eggplant yogurt Dip from www.jewish-foods.com .. My husband had this at a Persian restaurant and loved it. He then searched on Google and found this, so I made it for him .. It's really good! Times are estimated.
- 2 (1 lbs) large eggplants
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ⅔ cup drained yogurt
- 4 teaspoons fresh mint, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon powdered saffron, threads in (optional)
- 2 teaspoons hot water (optional)
- 1 teaspoon drained yogurt
- fresh mint leaves
- Rinse, prick the eggplants and roast in a 350°F oven, turning frequently, for about 40 minutes, or until soft.
- Remove, place on a cutting board and let stand until cool enough to handle; peel the skin and chop the flesh.
- Transfer the flesh to a mixing bowl, add remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly, seasoning to taste.
- In the serving dish, garnish with saffron water, yogurt and mint leaves and serve hot or cold with pita.
- Can be made in advance and stored in refrigerator.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.