Contributed by Pressurecookerrecipes Y-Group
- 2 cup dry beans (kidney or pinto)
- 4 cups water
- 1½ cup chopped salt beef or ½ cup cubed salt pork (optional)
- 1½ cups brown sugar
- Pressure cook the dry beans and water for 45 minutes.
- Remove pressure cooker from heat, cool under cold running water,remove lid and stir beans.
- Add a little more water if needed, should be about 2 x liquid to beans.
- Add and stir gently salt beef or salt pork (if using) and brown sugar put back on medium heat, raise pressure, and lower heat to medium low when pressure has lifted valve.
- Cook another 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat again, cool as before, remove lid and put back on stove over low heat.
- Taste and add salt if needed.
- Salt will definitely be needed if salt beef or pork has not been added in second stage.
- Simmer for ½ hour longer if needed with cover off to reduce liquid and thicken liquid around beans.
- Add more brown sugar if not sweet enough.
- Serve with johnny cake (cornbread-sweetened or unsweetened, depending on taste of those eating the bread).
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.